To campaign is to engage in an operation with the planned intention to achieve a certain goal.
Mothers' Union has a long history of Campaigning, including the Bye Buy Childhood campaign and 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence.
Members from across the world, as we work towards the coming of God's kingdom in the midst of the communities we have all been called to love and serve, seek to translate into daily life the Mothers' Union vision of a world where God's love is shown through loving, respectful, and flourishing relationships.
In the Gospel according to Luke, when Mary, the mother of Jesus, visits her relative Elizabeth, there is a Song of Worship offered to the Living God, referred to as 'The Magnificat' in which is found three petitions - the plea for moral, social and economic justice for all.
This is not a vague hope, but an aim being actively pursued through prayer, policy and practical action by engaging with and assisting families - both in the United Kingdom and across the world. By supporting community relationships, especially through times of adversity, Mothers' Union members campaign for and actively engage with issues to tackle the most urgent needs challenging individuals and through community programmes.
16 Day of Activism against Gender Violence
[with a specific focus each year from 25 November until 10 December] See: 16 Days of Activism
Uniting individuals and organisations to raise awareness of, and call for an end to, all forms of violence against women and girls. Mothers' Union believes that prevention needs to focus on; teaching children and adults about loving and respectful relationships; that there are laws against all forms of violence and abuse and the means to enforce them; that those experiencing violence are supported; and that perpetrators are brought to justice and rehabilitated.
See Prayer Day for details of resources used in our Rainbow Prayer Day held in Gloucester on 29th November 2019.
Bye Buy Childhood
Train a child in the appropriate way, and when they become older, they will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22 v6)
Mothers' Union members believe in the importance of valuing children as children not as consumers.
The Bye Buy Childhood campaign aims to empower families to challenge the commercialisation and sexualisation of childhood through positive action.
Looking forward towards:
* having a greater impact at the United Nations 'Commission on the Status of Women'
* taking forward the work on sex and relationships education
* continuing to lobby against charges for using the Child Maintenance Service
* developing global advocacy relating to gender issues
Mothers' Union members actively seek today to fulfil the plea given by the prophet Micah, who stated so long ago: He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6 v7)
The vision for Mothers' Union is firmly rooted in a voluntary ethos. Its governance, leadership, and programmes are driven by and undertaken through members around the world as they respond to God's call to faith and action.
For Mothers' Union members believe:
* in the value of each individual and their unique qualities.
* in the value of relationships. Jesus answered, 'The first is, "Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength". The second is this, "You shall love your neighbour as yourself". There is no other commandment greater than these.' (Mark 12 v29-31)
* in the value of the family in its many forms as a source of love and support for individuals and the basis for a caring community.